Dear Church Family,
I am excited to announce that I will be starting a new Sunday school class on Sunday, January 17, 2016. The class will be on the book of Hebrews.
Over the years, many of you have heard me call Hebrews the “handbook to the Old Testament.” What I mean by that is that Hebrews helps us understand many of the stories in the Old Testament with greater clarity. The main reason is that Hebrews looks upon many of the Old Testament stories through the lens of Christ.
For example, a few weeks ago, I preached an advent sermon on Christ being our High Priest. I used Leviticus 16 as my main text – a text that speaks of the High Priest entering the Holy of Holies on the Day of Atonement for the annual sacrifice. However, if you will recall, I also used Hebrews 9:12 and 10:1-4 in the sermon as well. Why?…because Hebrews teaches us to see the Old Testament through the lens of Jesus Christ.
And by studying Hebrews, we will simply learn this main theme: Jesus is Better! In fact, we will learn that…
- Jesus is better than old revelation (Hebrews 1)
- Jesus is better than angels (Hebrews 1-2)
- Jesus is better than Moses (Hebrews 3)
- Jesus is better than Joshua (Hebrews 4)
- Jesus is better than the Priesthood (Hebrews 4-7)
- Jesus is better than the Priest’s work (Hebrews 8-10)
So I invite you to join me on Sunday, January 17 as we begin this study on the book of Hebrews.